Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sleepless with some Seagram's

I am a sucker when it comes to romance.

No, I don't read those ridiculous books with the Fabio-like men on the cover. But, sorry -- some of those rom-coms get me. As do real-life stories.

It's funny, because I look at couples who have been together for a long time and sometimes forget that their story, too, has a beginning.


There was one pair I recently cornered. I forced them to give me specifics, because, well, this is one I don't want to be forgotten.

The husband divulged most of the details.

It was college. She was an undergrad; he, a grad student. It was a Friday night.


"We met at a party that mutual friends had," he started. "And (she) came out in the kitchen to get some of her bottle of Seven, Crown, Seagram’s seven….and she got really ticked off because this other girl had been hitting her booze. And I think I commiserated with her or something."

I asked if they were a bit tipsy. The wife defended herself.

"Sue kept drinking my Seagram’s seven, so I didn’t have that much."

But he never wavered from the details about her wardrobe.

"She had Bermuda shorts and a sweater on ... and looked hot."

And him? She couldn't remember. Neither could he. But that didn't seem to matter.

"...so we hit it off really well, right off the bat. I’d been drinking for a few hours prior to the party," he said.


"Like 12 or eight," she added.

So, there was some back-and-forth about whether they hit the Pizza Hut that night. Neither seemed completely sure. But one thing they could both confirm: he gave her a ride home and asked if he could take her out that Sunday night.


After that, he was a little fuzzy.

"I knew she lived above the theater in Normal, (Ill.)," he said, as he recalled heading to their first date. "I went to pick her up.

"And I wasn't real sure about who I was picking up."

Most people might panic a little. But not him.

"I thought, 'What the hell? I’ll just knock on the door and see what happens.'

"Another girl that she lived with came to the door and said, 'Oh, you must be here for Karen.”

"I said, 'Yeah. OK.' ”

Thank God he didn't mess that one up.



If he had, they wouldn't have gotten engaged four months later. And they wouldn't have gotten married 42 years ago today.

And myself, my sister and our four children would not be walking this Earth right now.


So, Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. I've put your story out there for the blogosphere to see. 

If only I'd written down the dirt on how my grandfather (in his younger years) and his two brothers had all -- at different times, of course --  been engaged to the same girl.

With the same ring.

That'd be a good one for ancestry.com.

My mom, left, in the shorts that started it all. 

2 comments:

Staci Reynolds said...

What a great story! I love it, your writing style keeps me on the edge of my seat.

Sara said...

Thank you, Staci! I appreciate it!